[sclug] [OT] Where does apt keep its list of installed software?

Ian Park i.d.c.park at ntlworld.com
Tue Oct 25 19:10:49 UTC 2011

--
Hi all

Thanks very much to all who gave helpful replies. I've now backed up a
lot of the root directory of my Ubuntu Oneiric setup to my desktop
(still on Ubuntu Natty - I wasn't going to commit to Oneiric on that
until I'd given it a trial on the netbook), and installed Debian Squeeze
on the netbook. I might give Linux Mint a whirl, because there are still
some wrinkles with Debian (like it didn't recognise the 16GB SD card
which I use for the /home directory).

I also took the hint of using chroot when running the Debian live DVD to
let me do a dump of the installed software using

dpkg --get-selections > /tmp/installed-software.log.

Cheers

Ian
--
Ian Park