[sclug] Recommendations for an IAP

Neil Brown neil at neilzone.co.uk
Fri Apr 20 10:33:36 UTC 2012

I am currently with BT for both phone line (used only as a carrier line) and DSL, and am considering moving away, on the basis that the offer I'm currently benefitting from is likely to come to an end soon.

I wonder if anyone here can recommend a decent access provider, who can provide in the Newbury area. I don't believe that my street has either cable or fibre, so I think I'm limited to DSL.

Ideally, I'd be looking for:

	- static IP(s)
	- decent upload speed ? I like to VPN back home when travelling, and watch the occasional film stored on the network. I'm currently getting about 0.4Mbit, so the experience is not good...
	- decent download too, of course, but I'm not expecting the line to support more than 4Mbit (notionally, at least)
	- a substantial usage allowance, since I use the line for downloading / streaming in place of a TV

I don't need web hosting, parental control software, a "free" router or anything like that and, if I need technical support, would rather that the phone was not put down because I'm not using Windows.

(I'm happy to stay with BT for the phone line; it's the Internet connection which is important to me here.)

Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

Neil

Neil Brown
neil at neilzone.co.uk | http://neilzone.co.uk