[sclug] Recommendations for an IAP

Oliver Gorwits sclug at gorwits.me.uk
Fri Apr 20 11:33:55 UTC 2012

> I wonder if anyone here can recommend a decent access provider, who can
> provide in the Newbury area. I don't believe that my street has either
> cable or fibre, so I think I'm limited to DSL.

A good starting point would be the SamKnows website which will tell you
what your local phone exchange is capable of. Here's the Newbury exchange
(or you could be on another, e.g. Thatcham):

  http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/THNU

It says there are LLU operators and these are ones likely to be able to
give you a higher connection rate with good pricing. However smaller ISPs
(e.g. Goscomb mentioned) will be reselling their services as well.

Personally I'm with IDnet who are OK. Support can be a bit unenthusiastic
(whatever your OS platform) but the idnetters web forum is good. They have
native IPv6, static IPv4, don't cost a fortune, and don't filter/intercept
anything.

Also check out http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ for more info on what's
available from UK IPSs.

HTH,