[sclug] Recommendations for an IAP

Dickon Hood dickon-ml at fluff.org
Fri Apr 20 19:30:31 UTC 2012

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 19:56:15 +0100, Alex Butcher wrote:
: On Fri, 20 Apr 2012, Neil Brown wrote:

: >	- a substantial usage allowance, since I use the line for
: >	- downloading / streaming in place of a TV

[...]

: My parents use TalkTalk, and get a slightly faster connection than me for
: less than a tenner a month. Good value for them, but you don't get any of
: the geek toys, and TalkTalk do have a habit of doing things like Phorm.

They're too cheap.  No ISP charging what they do can *possibly* have
enough left over after paying BT (for the tails, if not whatever Centrals
mutated into) and whoever supplies their routers to have any left over for
network infrastructure.  This doesn't bode well for anyone wanting high
download limits and reasonable peak-time bandwidth for streaming telly.

When they put themselves on the market -- they ran out of money,
surprisingly enough -- for ?300/subscriber, most of the industry laughed
themselves silly.

Dickon Hood
--
Due to unending piles of junk mail, my .sig is temporarily unavailable.
Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.  We apologise for the

This email was sent from a colocated server, and needs no excuses.