[sclug] Odd behaviour from OpenDNS?

Dickon Hood dickon-ml at fluff.org
Sun Jul 22 11:12:51 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 16:39:08 +0100, Tom Gamble wrote:
: Hi,

: 	I've not really looked in to OpenDNS.  I don't use it but was
: 	using a host that uses OpenDNS servers.

: If you are using OpenDNS  then doing an nslookup for an no existent host
: returns a valid IP address.

Yup.

: What is the general consensus on OpenDNS?

Avoid.  They fake up NXDOMAIN responses, returning an IP address which
your browser then visits, and shows you ad-infested 'search' pages in
place of a nice, clean NXDOMAIN error.  This would be fine, if it wasn't
immediately obvious to anyone with half a brain that not all systems are
web browsers.

I blame Verisign.  They started playing silly-buggers like this some years
back, until they were forced to back down in the wake of some backlash.
If you really must rely on somebody else's resolvers, use Google's
8.8.8.8.  Better: apt-get install bind9 && echo nameserver ::1 >
/etc/resolv.conf

Dickon Hood
--
Due to the proliferation of 'Sent from my $device' disclaimers, my .sig is
temporarily unavailable.  Normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.

This email was sent from a colocated server, and needs no excuses.