[sclug] Odd behaviour from OpenDNS?

Ed Davies sclug.xu.1106 at edavies.me.uk
Sun Jul 22 14:36:05 UTC 2012

On 22/07/12 11:12, Dickon Hood wrote:
> Better: apt-get install bind9&&  echo nameserver ::1>
> /etc/resolv.conf

I don't have access to a DSL- or ?cable?- style router at
the moment but I have meant before to look to see if any of
mine can be set to ignore the ISP's advertised DNS address
and just go from the top. Advantage on a private LAN would
be a bit more caching across boxes and across box reboots.

Frankly, though, I don't see much point to not using the
ISP's DNS unless they're playing around in ways you don't
like. In particular, I can't see any privacy advantage.
Anything you access with HTTPS will tend to have a unique
IP address, won't it? However, accessing Pirate Bay on
principle, even if you'd not normally go anywhere near it,
does have some appeal.

Ed.