[sclug] Pi has arrived!

Daniel Craigie danielcraigie at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 21:03:03 UTC 2012

Hi Neil,

My main interest with the Pi has been the GPIO pins that provide a direct interface between C(++)/python scripts and external electronic circuits.

I have always struggled when interfacing software on Linux boxes with hardware in the outside world.  Now, I don't even have to mess about with half-written USB drivers to access the outside world :-)

One direction I would point anyone interested is the Gertboard project, developed inside the Raspberry Pi team, it provides endless* possibilities for advanced electronic interfacing and control.  You have to assemble the board yourself (but thats half the fun right?).

I plan to focus on garage door control via email/wifi pickup via my iPhone, advanced central heating control, etc...
Please stay safe when dealing with high voltages,  the GPIO pins are "hardwired" into the CPU so excessive current or load could destroy the chip!

Here are a few links to follow:

http://lwk.mjhosting.co.uk/?p=343
http://www.element14.com/community/groups/raspberry-pi
http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/17/gertboard-extender-for-raspberry-pi-ships-to-advanced-tinkerers/
http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/tag/gpio

Hope this helps,

Daniel

* obviously there are limits, but you can always turn right to continue...