[sclug] Squid Webproxy - partial page loads

Adam Thompson adwulf at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 09:34:19 UTC 2012

On 26 November 2012 13:56, Mark East <feasty at gmail.com> wrote:

> Packet capture is your best shot. You can use tcpdump to get a capture and
> then open it in Wireshark. This should show you what is happening in the
> transaction and will hopefully give you a clue to what is happening. Try to
> get the capture when minimal traffic is going through the proxy though as
> it can make it a bit more difficult if there is a lot going on. If you have
> trouble I could take a look for you tonight/tomorrow if it helps?
>
> tcpdump -v -s 65535 -w capture.pcap -i <network interface>

Thanks,

I've run tcpdump, and found that the Apache server is sending the complete
response, and this does seem to be reaching Squid OK.

So the issue must be with Squid, either processing the data, or sending it
on to the client.  It's a kinda convoluted setup, with clients accessing
the Squid daemon via VPN, so I'll need to do a bit more work on one of the
clients to see what's getting sent there.

The content-length headers seem to match what's being sent, and the point
where the page stops loading doesn't match a chunk boundary.

Thanks all for the pointers.

I'm going to try to get everything working with 3.x.  Previously, I saw the
same behaviour with Squid 2.6.STABLE21 on CentOs 5.3.  I had hoped that the
new machine with Squid 3.1 would fix that.

--
AdamT