[sclug] Potential in-bound routing failure on BT: any thoughts welcomed

Daniel Craigie danielcraigie at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 18:44:23 UTC 2013

On 10 Apr 2013, at 14:10, Dickon Hood <dickon-ml at fluff.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 09, 2013 at 21:15:43 +0100, Darren Davison wrote:
> : On Sun, Apr 07, 2013 at 09:30:33PM +0100, Dickon Hood wrote:
> : > A&A are recommended, but their pricing isn't what you'd call transparent.
> : > OTOH, they do IPv6.
>
> : in what way are they not transparent?  I've been with them for about 6 years
> : and never had any difficulty understanding what I pay for.
>
> : http://www.aa.net.uk/broadband-prices.html
>
> : Simples tchk tchk :)
>
> You have to know your line type (LLU or not; which specific flavour of
> BT), then pluck a number out of the air for daytime usage, and another for
> off-peak, then add an install charge, and try and work out what units are
> and how they correspond to things.
>
> It's hardly user-friendly.

I have to agree with you there.

For years I have heard nothing but good things about A&A and it's also great to have a truly local ISP in Bracknell.

However, apart from the fact that BT have yet to roll out Fibre in my area, I have always been put off by the price calculator.  I don't meter our internet connection and our usage varies throughout the year, so we stick with Virgin Media broadband and the fixed monthly payments.

If A&A weren't so precise with their billing I would switch as soon as good service arrives in the neighbourhood...

Plus, don't you have to add the cost of BT line rental to the monthly fee?

Daniel