[sclug] On ultra cheap machines

David Given dg at cowlark.com
Thu Apr 25 22:15:19 UTC 2013

[bulk reply to save my handwriting]

On 25/04/13 18:53, Robin Smith wrote:
> I have an decent dual core pentium that flies on Arch Linux. Yours if
> you collect. Throw in a beer if you want.

Thank-you, but as he lives... (checks browser)... just under 1000km
away, as the Google flies, I'm not going to carry it up in my rucksack.
(Why are computers, which are fundamentally chunks of silicon
considerably smaller than my fingernail, so bloody *heavy*?)

On 25/04/13 18:26, Neil Brown wrote:
> On 25 Apr 2013, at 18:04, David Given <dg at cowlark.com> wrote:
>
>> > Any suggestions?
> Acer Revo / Veriton?

Those look really nice, actually. The form factor is great and the price
is... well, overpriced, but not badly so.

On 25/04/13 21:27, Alex Butcher wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Apr 2013, David Given wrote:
[...]
> Sounds like something like an N2800 Atom desktop board (e.g. Intel
> DN2800MT)
> might do the job.

I had totally failed to find those earlier as the box shifters file them
under 'miniITX' rather than 'motherboards'. Sigh. But yes, that's the
sort of thing I was thinking of.

[...]
> Only downside is that the binary graphics drivers need antique
> versions of the kernel and xorg...

He's mainly an Ubuntu user; and for all their (many) sins, Ubuntu do a
decent job of supporting weird and proprietary graphics hardware out of
the box; any ideas if they're supporting it yet?

Someone also reminded me via email that looking for last year's
refurbished office PC on eBay is worth considering; it's absolutely
awash with them for silly money. That has the advantage of getting a
complete computer, and it gets delivered. The disadvantage, of course,
is that they might not *work*...

Anyway, thanks for the responses; it's been very useful.

--
?