[sclug] High Wycombe LUG meet

Gareth France gareth.france at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 21:27:38 UTC 2013

On 05/08/13 22:14, Dickon Hood wrote:
> Your first email seemed to imply that you didn't want to tread on
> anybody's toes by starting a rival group 'in our territory' -- as it were
> -- but you've seen what we're like, and in all honesty if anyone really
> did complain I'd write them off as in need of a drink:-)
>
> The more the better, if you ask me.
Interesting comments. I meant that the aim of the Reading group seems to
differ from what a LUG is 'supposed' to be. Let's face it, it's an
excuse to go down the pub. I love that and I think it works brilliantly,
but I do think there is scope to do more and I do think that more could
compliment the Reading group.

I've actually got a pub in mind, but the atmosphere is very different
from the Back of Beyond and having two bars we would be able to use the
second bar to host install fests or anything that's more hands on. Just
because it's in a pub doesn't mean you have to be drinking alcohol, but
the flip side is just because I want to be hands on doesn't mean you
can't just come along have a drink and a chat. The pub I have chosen I
can see becoming a very flexible space for something like this.

It's good to hear from a few of you who are definitely maybe's, I think
all that's needed is a small group happy to come along regular, a few
who may stop by if they happen to be in the area and then it's worth
reaching out to new members.