[sclug] High Wycombe LUG meet

Dickon Hood dickon-ml at fluff.org
Mon Aug 5 22:16:44 UTC 2013

On Mon, Aug 05, 2013 at 22:27:38 +0100, Gareth France wrote:
: On 05/08/13 22:14, Dickon Hood wrote:
: >Your first email seemed to imply that you didn't want to tread on
: >anybody's toes by starting a rival group 'in our territory' -- as it were
: >-- but you've seen what we're like, and in all honesty if anyone really
: >did complain I'd write them off as in need of a drink:-)

: >The more the better, if you ask me.
: Interesting comments. I meant that the aim of the Reading group
: seems to differ from what a LUG is 'supposed' to be. Let's face it,
: it's an excuse to go down the pub.

Certainly.  You're entirely right.  I'd also say that that isn't a *bad*
thing.

: I love that and I think it works
: brilliantly, but I do think there is scope to do more and I do think
: that more could compliment the Reading group.

I've always thought that the problem with (possibly just this end of?) the
Thames Valley is that too many of us do this sort of thing as the day job,
which somewhat restricts the number of people who want to do something
more useful in the evenings.  I freely admit to being one of them: I get
paid to do this as the dayjob, and evenings are relaxation with friends.

I suspect that there are many who get frustrated with the attitude that
most of us have in that regard, and would like more hands-on help.  I have
no answer.

: I've actually got a pub in mind, but the atmosphere is very
: different from the Back of Beyond and having two bars we would be
: able to use the second bar to host install fests or anything that's
: more hands on. Just because it's in a pub doesn't mean you have to
: be drinking alcohol, but the flip side is just because I want to be
: hands on doesn't mean you can't just come along have a drink and a
: chat. The pub I have chosen I can see becoming a very flexible space
: for something like this.

Sounds ideal.  If there was transport and it didn't conflict with anything
else I do, I'd probably pop along.

: It's good to hear from a few of you who are definitely maybe's, I
: think all that's needed is a small group happy to come along
: regular, a few who may stop by if they happen to be in the area and
: then it's worth reaching out to new members.

I, for one, wish you luck.  It sounds worthwhile.

Dickon Hood
--
Due to the release of iOS 6 Maps, my .signature is temporarily lost.  Normal
service will be resumed as soon as possible.  We apologise for the

This email was sent from a colocated server, and needs no excuses.