[Sussex] Hard disk help/ XP reinstall!

Derek Harding derek at lagham.uklinux.net
Fri Nov 22 10:56:01 UTC 2002

Hi folks,

Two items of assistance required, please.

First, I have a Quantum Fireball ACXF (CX series) with a blown chip on the controller. Has anyone a spare HDD from which I can borrow the controller board and so retrieve all the data on the duff disk?

Second, I have a friend who has a laptop with XP. He has virtually never used it (it's only 6 months old and he had it as a gift) but now, without any fiddling, it demands the key code from the disk every time it boots and, even though the approriate code is fed in, it simply reboots back to the same demand. Changing to Linux, even a deb distribution :-)> , is not an option. I shall look at it on Tuesday and probably re-install or downgrade to W2k. Anyone any sensible, helpful suggestions before I zap what's on it? There is nothing on there which needs to be kept, so even reformatting is fine.

--
Best wishes,
Derek