[Sussex] Windows bye-bye

Geoff Teale tealeg at member.fsf.org
Fri Aug 8 06:41:01 UTC 2003

Hi there Gavin,

A couple of things:

1. If you have enough bandwidth then you don't need to get Debian 3
disks to upgrade to Debian 3. Debian is built around their online
repositories which means that by just keeping your packages up to date
you will never need to install from a new release disk again.  For exact
instructions on how to do the upgrade on Debian I'd wait for the
inevitable post from Steve Dobson or Nik Butler - both fine Debian
zealots.

2. The mozilla file you have should probably be something like this:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/releases/mozilla1.5a/mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu-1.5a-sea.tar.gz

.. if your's ends sea.gz then that's probably a typo by the person who
zipped it up.  The -sea part of the name distinguishes this as being the
main codebase (codenamed SeaMonkey) rather than Firebird or one of the
other Mozilla sub-projetcs.  What you need to do with this file is as
follows:

- Open a term and cd to directory the tar ball is in.
$ tar xzvf mozilla-i686-pc-linux-gnu-1.5a-sea.tar.gz
$ cd mozilla-i686-pc-linux-1.5a-sea

In here you should find a README and possibly an INSTALL file - read
these carefully.  In most cases code distributed in a tar ball can be
compiled and installed using:

$ ./configure
$ make
$ su
$ make install

.. that's fine, but do read the docs, some packages have different
processes and lots of configure options.
--
GJT
tealeg at member.fsf.org
gteale at cmedltd.com