[Sussex] The woes of trying to install Debian woody.

John D. big-john at dsl.pipex.com
Sat Aug 30 12:05:01 UTC 2003

On Saturday 30 Aug 2003 10:34 am, Steve Dobson wrote:
> John
>
> On Sat, Aug 30, 2003 at 09:51:48AM +0100, John D. wrote:
> > On Saturday 30 Aug 2003 7:26 am, Steve Dobson wrote:
> > > -------- Cut here ------------------
> > > deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
> > > deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian-non-US stable non-US/main
> > > non-US/contrib non-US/non-free deb http://security.debian.org/
> > > stable/updates main contrib non-free -------- Cut here ----------
> > >
> > > Then type the following commands:
> > > apt-get update
> > > apt-get upgrade
> > > apt-get install xserver-xfree86
> >
> > Well, probably due to my ignorance, at the moment, I have tried to use
> > "wget", the prompt says wget command not found.
>
> Both of these will get the packages, but then you have to manually install
> them - apt will do it all for you (but only for the packaged stuff).
>
> > So I have used dselect and as far as I can tell, It's installed but the
> > bash response is still "wget command not found" - Drat!
>
> Stop using dselect now.  If your are must use then select the "apt"
> package.
>
> > Also, my stupidity factor means that I am struggling to modify my
> > /etc/apt/sources
> >
> > Is it just "/etc/apt/sources" or is it "/etc/atp/sources.list"
>
> It is "/etc/apt/sources.list".
>
> The trick is to get that installed and working and then most other thinks
> will just work for you.
>
> > Oh and my "p.s." in my last post should have said "Lancing, with an adsl
> > connection"! :)
>
> That's not to far away.  If you want I don't mind poping over and helping
> you set the system up.  There is a bit of black magic to X configuration.
> Be warned, I'm trading my expertise for your bandwidth :-)
>
> Steve

Steve,

Yes, Yes, Yes,

Experience for bandwidth ? No problem.

I have been reliably informed (by "er indorrs") that we have to go into
Brighton (which will probably take a couple of hours - the Airshow is on at
Shoreham!).

Maybe you could text/e-mail a phone number and I can ring you as soon as I am
west of the Sussex Pad traffic lights (the usual hold up during the Airshow).

The mobile number is 0781 137 0404

But bandwidth, have as much as you want - I hate to point out, but your
shoulders will probably be covered in blood after I've finished bleeding your
ears with questions.

regards

John D.