[Sussex] bork bork bork

Neil Ford neil at smudgypixels.net
Sun Feb 16 21:56:01 UTC 2003

On Sun, 16 Feb 2003 20:53:29 +0000, Nik Butler wrote:
> Last post from Mr Ford, revealed that Redhat and Madrake are of course
> feeling the financial preasures and familial constraints of supporting
> complex systems. Though we can see the light at the end of this tunnel
> when we realise that Redhat and Mandrake only distribute the systems and
> deliver access to source and code so were not all going to be held
> hostage as we might first fear.
> 	http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/sussex/2003-February/001600.html

The thrust of the piece (for those that didn't read it) was that the
lack of vendor supplied security patches would make it hard for people
(users and experienced systems admin) to keep their machines running
older OSes up to data and that in turn would lead to security risks.

Only time will tell how much of an issue this is going to be.

Neil.
--
Neil Ford
neil at smudgypixels.net