[Sussex] Most insanely useful software every written

nik at wired4life.org nik at wired4life.org
Mon Jul 28 15:52:00 UTC 2003

it was once commented to me that I must use ls about 99% of the time..
this comment made by a PHB of little brain. fact is ls, and all its
switches is by far the most useful tool. I mguessing after ls comes vi
and after vi as apps go traceroute, over ping, as traceroute actually
tells me more abuot how I got to my destination than the fact I got
their. Ping is not always instructive either, after all pin gmight say a
address is unavailble but traceroute shows me why.

As for Vi, well actually vim , VI is just so simple, and yet powerful.
its like a little swiss army knife of goodness. all the basic tools and
all under your thumbtip. Now I could talk about emacs but frankly I
could not get on with a interface that needed ctrl- and something. for
me 'esc''esc' followed by my command was easy... plus I could walk
anyone through it remotely and be assued that they were in command or
edit mode by the presence of the : at the bottom or not!

but even just this very moment ls did its thing for me, letting me see
the contects of the pwd I was in and seeing that a file should be moved.

--
nik at wired4life.org	http://www.wired4life.org/	Wired4Life, an Answer.

apt-get install zoe-ball
 To many unmet dependancies.