[Sussex] Would a p2p Kernel tree work ?

John Crowhurst fyremoon at fyremoon.net
Sun Jun 1 19:22:00 UTC 2003

> Im sitting here patching my Kernel tree, looking at Gentoo and BSD and
> thinking ... how computers are great at doing things like repetive
> analyis and digging for data when it occured to me that if only other
> people online who had similar configurations as me could shaer their
> kernels and modules. it would be usefull to be able to make
> menuconfig-p2p and select modules/kernel compilation of the tree based
> on succefully patched kernels which match my configuration. assuming
> that p2p products like Bit Torrent and E-Donkey would effeciently
> collect modules and patches and apply them as neccessary.
>
> what do you think ,,, Cool or Fool ?

I think the biggest problem with p2p is that you can't be sure what you
are downloading. You could have a corrupt kernel, or something that may
have backdoors in it. You are making your computers very insecure this
way.

I know what I'd like to see though, p2p compilations, like the people who
crack rc5, they download a section of stored data, which is compiled and
returned to the server (like distcc, but on a worldwide scale)

Upload the code you wish to have compiled, and then download it later in
its compiled state. Some kind of security would have to be implied,
perhaps so that the user who is compiling, doesn't see what they are
actually compiling.

--
John