[Sussex] Can't emerge sync..

Stephen Williams sdp.williams at btinternet.com
Sun Aug 15 19:10:50 UTC 2004

Dominic,

On Sun, 2004-08-15 at 18:10, Dominic Humphries wrote:
> As I mentioned earlier, I'm trying out Gentoo. Or at least, I'd LIKE to
> - So far, I've not managed to get it installed.
>
> I've downloaded and installed the stage2 tarball on a spare 5gb
> partition, and sucessfully chrooted into it.
>
> Then I tried to use 'emerge sync' to install the portage tree, like
> Chap. 6 says. That gives the error:
>
> Notice: (-3, 'Temporary failure in name resolution')
> rsync: getaddrinfo: rsync.gentoo.org 873: Temporary failure in name
> resolution
> rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(88)
>
> I try using "emerge-webrsync", which appears to work - in that it says
> "Fetching most recent snapshot" instead of giving an error message.
> Except it doesn't actually do anything else - no eth0 activity, and
> nothing gets downloaded.
>
> Lastly, when I try to ping "rsync.gentoo.org" from my host distro, I get
> no response. I've turned off my firewall, so that shouldn't be a problem.
>
> Any idea what the problem is, and how I get around it..?

It sounds as if your system doesn't know where to direct dns queries.

Did you copy the nameserver info from the CD-Boot filesystem to the
chroot gentoo filesystem?

There's a line in the manual before the chroot section that says
something like:

cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/resolv.conf

If you've already chrooted try this at the command line:

nameserver ???.???.???.???

Replace with the ? the ip address of your gateway. You could also write
a new resolv.conf so you don't have the problem next time you boot:

echo "nameserver ???.???.???.???" > /etc/resolv.conf

That should do the trick.

Steve Williams.