[Sussex] Connecting SuSE 9.2 to Windows XP

Alan Delaney hairy.one at virgin.net
Sun Apr 10 07:24:21 UTC 2005

Alright, alright, I'll admit it, I'm a clueless newbie.  I may have been using playing Clanbomber and messing about with the Midnight Commander for the last several
years but when it comes to installing and configuring a network I have no idea what to do.

Basically my problem is that I have a 2.2GHz Sempron machine, brand new, which I am having trouble getting up and running.  I've installed SuSU Linux 9.2 from a Linux Format coverdisk which seemed to install OK except that when I went to start the X-server it didn't work.  OK, so I checked the Web via a different machine and found I need to download a file for my gaphics card (GeForce2 MX 400), the only problem is that I cannot get my SpeedTouch USB modem to work either.  Of course the answer is download something (probably) so all I need to do is get my modem working properly so that I can download stuff to get my modem working properly, erm....  Alright, no worries, I've got a back-up machine, a 1G Compaq laptop running Windows XP.  No problem, I can plug my modem into my laptop, plug my laptop into my desktop, and copy the stuff I need across a miniature network, easy!  Next question, how do I connect Windows XP to bash?  Ermmm.....  No problem, this is Linux, I've got many potential sources of help - books, man pages, help files, user groups, web-sites, mailing lists, etc., etc., etc., ad nauseum.  Where do I start?  Aye, there's the rub!  Look, all I want to is copy a file, or several files probably, from a Windows XP laptop to a Linux desktop, can't be so hard?  The only question is where the hell do I start?  I assume I need to use Samba but the online help file is several million pages long, I'm not interested in becoming a fully qualified network engineer (not in the next few hours anyway), I've got one cable, two machines, surely there is an easy way to make them talk to each other?  Anyone know what to do, or at least get a brainless How-To on it?

Cheers,

Captain Redbeard

P.S. Regarding reviving my lost Linux partition, thanks for the replies but I haven't gotten around to looking at it yet!