[Sussex] Help!

Thomas Adam thomas at edulinux.homeunix.org
Sat Feb 26 14:03:12 UTC 2005

On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 11:14:00AM +0000, Steve Dobson wrote:
> As I logged in at about 10 this morning it would appear that this
> file is modified during login. I logged out and used a terminal login

Yes, of course it is.  It used to reside in /tmp -- but this broke the
LSB in more ways than you can shake a stick at, so now it resides
properly in $HOME.

> This suggests that your .ICEauthority is corrupted or has the wrong
> permissions. Delete it, (you may need to be root to do this), and then
> you should be fine.

Not corrupt, no.  Permissions, yes.  It's usually (although not limited
to) caused by programs such as k3b barfing.  Rather than deleting it,
you could also have just:

iceauth -f /home/angelo/.ICEAuthority

> Note: There are normally 6 terminal sessions on a x86 Linux system
> which can be accessed via Ctrl-Alt-F1 - Ctrl-Alt-F6 when in X11 mode
> or Alt-F1 - Alt-F2 when in terminal mode. To get back to the X11
> window session is normally Alt-F7, but just just work your way along
> the function keys until you find it.

chvt 7 :P

-- Thomas Adam

--
I know nothing, and understand even less.