[Sussex] RE: Linux and the Average User

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Tue Jul 12 12:48:44 UTC 2005

Geoffrey Teale wrote:
>On Tuesday 12 July 2005 11:55, Richie Jarvis wrote:
>
>>>Users don't want to have to configure anything. They just "want it too
>>>work". Not too spend hours/days/weeks (in my case years), trying to
>>>learn how something works, just too get it to "go"!
>>>

>Actually, as MH and I have discussed off list, users say that, but they have
>double standards.  They are used to jumping through all manner of hoops to
>get Windows and MS Office to "just work", but the slightest bump in the road
>with Linux causes them to run screaming.
You are probably spot on there Geoff, but I for one, never had any
problems at all with using/installing anything MS (windows or Office).
Whereas thus far, I feel that I've had a pretty smooth ride with linux
distros, and the only real problems have been the usual suspects
(scanner initally, minor sound issues, networking). My main system has
been fine, the few snags that I have had have been peripherals etc (and
thats with a PCWorld wonder box).

When I try anything new, I expect problems. If it all goes well, without
any hitches, it pleases me all the more. Though I suspect that I do pay
a minor premium these days, by trying not to buy stuff if it doesn't
have linux support. I'm also now trying to remember (possibly at your
suggestion, or was it someone elses?) to send quick e-mails to the
manufacturers sites to say that I've bought that very piece of kit
_because_ it has linux support.

regards

John D.