[Sussex] Odd noise on laptop - hard drive?

Andrew Guard andrew at andrewguard.com
Tue Jul 19 19:27:32 UTC 2005

Rupert Swarbrick wrote:
> Andrew Guard wrote:
>
>>Rupert Swarbrick wrote:
>>

>>>Very strange high-pitched whirring sound from hard disk (I think) - this
>>>is irritating, but strangely when I do `modprobe uhci-hcd`, the whirring
>>>noise suddenly stops.
>>>
>>>Any idea on what might be causing it? The laptop's a Dell Inspiron 500m
>>>(and I can't find anything with Google)
>>

>>Sounds like your HD is on it last legs.  Back up the data and find out
>>if still under warranty.  If not get new HD ASAP, it might die today
>>might die next week or 8 weeks time but it will die and when it happens
>>you will not be able to access the drive with out pay £XXXX cash.
>>

> Hmmm...
>
> I admit that the assumption that it was the hard-drive was just that -
> an assumption.
>
> I think that the hard disk is probably not dying, as it has been making
> this noise since I bought the laptop new 6 months ago (I just haven't
> been particularly irritated by it before)
>
> I still can't work out what loading the usb module has to do with it either.

USB should have no effect upon power to the fans in the unit, note the
word should.  This might sound strange but it might worth an try.  Is
sound there when close top of the laptop.  If so is the strange sound
still there.  As LCD is highest user of power in a laptop.  Also if you
stop strange sound by loading usb module would it start making a noise
if close the laptop lid then.

Do any of you know Dell self diagnostic keys upon kick-strap?