[Sussex] FYI: Windows 2003 PDC users

Gareth Ablett Gareth.Ablett at itpserve.co.uk
Fri Jun 10 09:34:25 UTC 2005

 From: Ronan Chilvers [mailto:ronan at thelittledot.com]
 Subject: [Sussex] FYI: Windows 2003 PDC users

> Hey folks
>
> On the offchance that someone here is a windows admin as well as a
> linuxer, just thought I'd share a nasty gotcha with windows licensing
> that our support company alerted me to t'other day. If you have any
> windows servers on your network that you are thinking of upgrading or
> have upgraded to windows 2003, be careful with CALs.  Installation of
> a windows 2003 server requires not only a new server license
> but also a new set of CALs too.  Your existing device CALs
> are no longer valid.  Therefore to be properly licensed, you need to
> buy not only a Win2003 server licence but a new CAL for every
> connecting device (not just workstations in other words).
>
> Nasty eh?

Nasty or Normal? I think this is the practice used for many software
providers on windows if you wish to upgrade your antivirus its the same
and would be the same with windows itself.

You don't think they would let you get away with buying CALs on a
cheaper old version then upgrade for next to nothing in comparison.

Regards

Gareth Ablett
Systems Developer

ITP Services Ltd.
http://www.itpserve.co.uk/

The recipient acknowledges that ITP Services Ltd is unable to control
the content of information in transmitting mail and attachments over the
Internet. ITP Services Ltd makes no warranty as to the quality,
accuracy and content of information contained in or with this message.
In
reading, opening or receiving this e-mail the recipient accepts full
responsibility for its content and attachments.