[Sussex] SuSE 9.3 - post intsall snag

John D. john at johnsemail.eclipse.co.uk
Sun Jun 26 13:41:55 UTC 2005

Colin Tuckley wrote:

>John D. wrote:
>

>>Still haven't worked out what the /.ICEauthority file is/does, but
>>deleting it has got me back in.
>>

>Deleting it is a bit extreme actually, all you need to do is change it's
>ownership back to your own username from root with the chown command.
>
>After a quick Google search it seems that this file is to do with file
>locking and it seems to get it's ownership changed to root when you run an
>application as root rather than as your own user. The cause seems to be a
>bug in one of the libraries somewhere.

I did wonder if it might have been something simple like that.

Though I'm also quite happy to admit that not being a natural problem
solver, and very impatient, doesn't help my cause! Especially if the
problem is distro related/caused by myself in choosing poorly during
install.

I expect to have snags, if I'm installing something like Gentoo, because
it has the reputation of needing greater general linux knowledge, though
this SuSE is supposed to be "easy", much like Mandriva/Mandrake. It
certainly doesn't feel like that, although lack of familiarity is a fair
part of the equation. Things just don't seem to be in quite such obvious
places and some of the terminology differs enough to exacerbate the
unfamiliarity.

Which currently means that post install "tidying up" etc, isn't going as
smoothly as I've previously experienced with either mandriva or gentoo!

I still don't follow some of what most on the list would consider basic
stuff! e.g. if I have graphics problems, sure, I need to check
/var/log/xorg.0.log, but don't know where else too look for other
possible problems/answers (like I've installed Opera, but if I click on
the icon it appears to be starting, but the the button/hourglass just
disappear and I can't locate where too look to see why this should be).

Right, enough moaning. I suppose I better see if I can find some install
instructions for firefox and thunderbird!

regards

John D.