[Sussex] internet cafe

Richie Jarvis richie at helkit.com
Thu Mar 24 09:24:51 UTC 2005

Gareth Ablett wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>After having a few days off from work I get back to be told I'm gonna meet wit someone regarding putting internet in his café (wireless) for customers to use.
>
>I've not used wireless before although setting up shouldn't be too much of a problem, what I don't have a clue about is will it just need a router and some setting up then pretty simple for customers to use or is it a case of needing a server and software.
>
>I'm guessing that they will want there own machine to look at the internet themselves and for any setup I do, but they are pretty tight for space so looking for advice.
>
>Would like help on this quite quickly if possible.

Hi Gareth,

We use the MeshAP for SussexNetShare - it works very well as a wireless
router, and also can be locked down so that users cannot access without
your permission (you can even setup a walled garden, which allows them
just to access the cafe's internet site for example)

Hardware wise, you can either purchase a box from locustworld.com (as
others have mentioned) which is a mini-itx machine using a CF-to-IDE,
and a wireless card.  Or you can build your own, either from new, or
using an old PC (P200 with at least 128MB of RAM is best)  The software
also includes an X interface, and browser - the idea being that the
MeshAP can also be used itself to connect to the internet.  You can also
remote manage the node itself using the WIANA webpage, and put
authentication in place.  Permanent logins can be provided using WIANA,
or you can provide temporary tokens for usage.  We use the WIANA radius
server to authenticate our monthly customers, and grant tokens to people
who request one via SMS, which gives a temporary username/password login.

If you want help setting it up, I can help, or contact Dave Phelan
(Peer-to-Pier in Brighton) or feeed.net (in Hastings/Reading, and is our
affiliate for SussexNetShare.net)

There is plenty of information on the MeshAP on the internet.

Hope that helps!

Cheers,

Richie