[Sussex] Debian and the nvidia driver!

Steven Dobson steve at dobson.org
Mon Aug 21 07:37:26 UTC 2006

John

On Sun, 2006-08-20 at 20:26 +0100, John D. wrote:
> On Sunday 20 August 2006 18:19, Steven Dobson wrote:
<snip>
> > You might also want to see what locale(1) reports:
<snip>
> As you suspected, it seems that it's set to US judging from the output of
> $locale. I had a look at the man/info pages for locale but they didn't say
> anything on how to change it.

These are environmental variables.  You can set in your .bashrc file
like this:
   LANG=en_GB
   export LANG

However, I would look at the system settings which is
the /etc/environment file.

> > Also look at the /etc/environment file.  My knowledge on the locale
> > settings in Debian is a bit weak because I answered the questions
> > correctly at install time and have never had to bother with them since.
> > If you just hit return when you were asked about locale then in all
> > likely hood you got a US configuration.
>
> The /etc/environment file just had the one line of "LANG=C" so, as above.
> Google here I come (again) :-)

The setup of my debian system, at least the keyboard configuration, is
done by /etc/init.d/keymap.sh.  But don't touch this files or any
in /etc/init.d - not unless you know what you're doing.

I did some more digging and I think you need to reconfigure your
console-data package.  Below are the commands and the options I used.
I found I could toggle the keyboard mappings between UK and US setting
by selection "British" and "US american".

   # dpkg-reconfigure console-data
   Select keymap from arch list
   qwerty
   British
   Standard

This changed the keyboard mapping on the virtual consoles (CTRL-ALT-F1 -
CTRL-ALT-F6) but not in the X display.  To configure the X display
default correctly you need to edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and configure is
something like this:

   Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Compaq Keyboard"
        Driver          "keyboard"
        Option          "CoreKeyboard"
        Option          "XkbRules"      "xfree86"
        Option          "XkbModel"      "pc105"
        Option          "XkbLayout"     "gb"
   EndSection

Note that the "Identifier" line must match what is configured elsewhere
in your xorg.conf file.  If you are still useing the same xorg.conf file
you e-mailed me back on Tuesday then this entry should be

   Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Keyboard0"
        Driver      "kbd"
        Option      "CoreKeyboard"
        Option      "XkbRules" "xorg"
        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
        Option      "XkbLayout" "gb"   <-- I changed this from "us"
   EndSection

Note that there are two keyboard drivers in Xorg "kbd" and "keyboard"
kbd is the new one and is planed to replace, if it hasn't already, the
built in "keyboard".