[Sussex] Video encoding under Linux

Steve Dobson steve at dobson.org
Thu Jan 26 19:53:07 UTC 2006

Diego

On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 01:38:21PM +0000, Diego Moore wrote:
> Has anyone got any experience with encoding video on linux?

Me for one.  I use a Hauppauge PVR-350 for hardware encoding/decoding
to/from MPEG2.

> There is a
> chance that I might need to encode a lot (hundreds of hours!)) of
> video material into an iPod friendly format as per this article this
> http://arstechnica.com/guides/tweaks/ipod-video.ars/
>
> While using ffmpegX on a Mac seems straightforward I'd like look into
> scalability as I have access to idle PC's overnight. So can someone
> point me towards what I need to use and if it would be possible to
> create a cluster/farm of machines to process all the encoding?
>
> Otherwise, a nicely spec'd G5 with either ffmpegX, QuickTime Pro or
> Media Cleaner will do the trick...

You might like to take a look at MythTV (which is the PVR software
I used to drive turn that computer into a video recorder for me).
I seem to remember that someone has got it working on Macs.

I've also used mencode (the encoder that comes as part of mplayer) to
turn stills from PoVRAY into movies.  It will transcode from anything
to anything so long as it as the plugin for it, and just about all
format seem to be supported.  The list is long in any case.

It all depends on how the imagery is getting to you.