[Sussex] New kit i am now playing with.

Nic nferrier at tapsellferrier.co.uk
Thu May 4 16:44:39 UTC 2006

Nicholas Butler <nik at reducedhackers.com> writes:

> So on recommendation of Mr Harrision [1]  I invested in a pair of Devolo
> High Speed Network kits for moving ethernet over power (
> http://www.devolo.com/co_EN/produkte/dlan/mldlanhsstarterkit.html ) .
> For an answer to moving data between the house and the office these are
> spot on. I just plugged them in , the first besides the DSL router power
> socket and the other in the office ,and connected the kit up and it all
> worked just like it said on the tin. So from Mr Butler this product gets
> two thumbs up !

I've got a setup with 3 around my house (all on different ring mains
and they still work!). They are truly brilliant.

But I have had an issue with wireless connectivity through them.

I have 2 APs, one at the top of the house and one at the bottom. Both
are plugged into the same network with the powerline ethernet
providing a fixed network between the two.

It works. But on reboot it can take a _long_ while before the devices
on the other side of the remote powerlines are seen by devices
connected to the APs. Patience is all that is required.

Hope this is of some use to somebody. I've wasted a lot of time
playing with these because the network doesn't establish for more than
5 minutes.

Nic Ferrier