[Sussex] SLUG Website [Was: Moot Attendance List April 29]

Fay Zee sussex at eglug.org.uk
Wed Apr 28 14:40:10 UTC 2010

On 28 April 2010 12:47, Alex Colquhoun  wrote:
> An additional point to discuss on the 29th is the moot website. My
> understanding is that it is currently defunct, which is a very poor
> advertisement for Sussex LUG. Even if it is still online, I'm not
sure when
> it was last maintained.

You are quite right, Alex.

1. We don't have a web site at the moment, and this could be putting
potential members off.
2. Any web site with correct info and a welcome on it is better than
no web site.

A lug.org.uk admin said they were perfectly happy to continue hosting
our
current (but hidden) web site at no charge.

I applied to the lug.org.uk admins about six months ago for the
password,
when I volunteered to take over as web admin, but didn't hear.

However when I spoke to popey at Surrey he suggested I copy him in. I

applied once again a couple of days ago, copying popey in, and this
time I
will keep asking until I get a response! He did say they are often
quite busy.
Or perhaps I could apply to Jon.

I thought I would keep the site as it is for the time being. It was
perfectly
functional.

Does everyone agree that content comes before form?

Also the simpler it is, the easier to maintain!

It might be a bit of work to get the site converted to static (I
believe the
reason for shutting the site down in the first place was that the
admins
decided to turn off php) and to get the info updated. Luckily I do a
lot of
HTML and CSS at work.

Then I promise to update the site regularly with MINIMALLY the
meeting
info and archives, also presentation slides if any. (Dave, do we have

your permission to upload your slides on C and related languages?
Gavin and Frank also used slides - please could we have copies?)

I shall revive the attendance list page on our web site by
redirecting to a
page on another dynamic site, like Steve did last time. This will
make it
easier to sign up again.

Vicky, if you are reading this and feel like contributing a static
design,
please feel free to offer :)

 Best Regards,
Fay