[SWLUG] domain names, email etc.

bascule excession at bigfoot.com
Tue Jan 29 19:34:40 UTC 2002

i signed up for a domain name about a year ago, i don't use it, i just
thought i'd get it while i could for the future as it was cheap, and yes it
is in my name, the question is, the people who i went through charge £19 to
'move' it somewhere else, what exactly would i be paying for here? if i let
the domain lapse and reapplied on the next day through someone else i assume
i would avoid this charge? is the charge for paperwork that could
theoretically be done by me for free?

all this brought on by bigfoot.com who want me to give them $39.95 to
continue with the service that i have had since '97 for free, i studiously
ignored their previous invitation to sign up for their premium service
gambling that maybe my original terms and conditions meant i could carry on
gettng unlimited emails for free, the deadline passed last september and my
address stll works, today however i'm invited to sign up again, this time
however they have an 'ultra' service that although expensive (for me, not for
what it is) would actually give what i need, their 'premium' service only
gives 150 messages a day - not enough! this got me thinking about my domain
name and using it for an email address, all i woud need then is someone to
host email for me! - cheaply!

i welcome any thoughts that folk might have

bascule