[SWLUG] Redhat 9... where to download?

Steve Anderson steve at twindx.com
Tue Aug 24 09:28:27 UTC 2004

Dick Porter wrote:

>>RedHat never let people distribute their (later) CDs as covermounts,
>

> /me looks at his copy of RH9 that was attached to the front of "linux
> user and developer".

Well, consider me standing corrected. However, from what I've read in
Linux Format (who welcomed the Fedora Core because they'd be able to
distribute it, as Red Hat 8 and 9 had been restricted) and knowing about
the redistribution restrictions imposed on people selling burnt copies
cheaply, and for hosting companies using it, to find it covermounted
would be VERY surprising. It wasn't the ISOs or whatever that caused the
problem, but it seemed to be the name 'Red Hat' - their name and
reputation is considered one of their greatest assets, so they were
restricting its use to describe a distro that didn't come directly from
them or an official mirror. (I think.)

Examples:
http://www.bytemark.co.uk/hosting/virtualmachine/distros.html
("Bytemark" Linux entry)
http://www.cheeplinux.co.uk/cat.pl?session_id=58ee112f&page=cl9info

So... although I stand corrected, I adopt a pose so as to suggest my
wondering whether Linux User and Developer managed to get permission to
use the name, or ignored all that and stole their vital intelectual
property like some kind of magaziney IBM =)

All this aside, use Fedora Core 2 instead, it's newer and better =)

Steve
Rapidly closing in on 30 =(