[SWLUG] Eisteddfod

Peter (dsl) apvx95 at dsl.pipex.com
Sat Jun 12 08:02:06 UTC 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chris M. Jackson" <chris at zenii.linux.org.uk>
To: "Peter (dsl)" <apvx95 at dsl.pipex.com>
Cc: <discuss at swlug.org.uk>
Sent: Friday, June 11, 2004 11:19 PM
Subject: Re: [SWLUG] Eisteddfod

> On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 20:49, Peter (dsl) wrote:
> > Oh! And my wife would probably want me to say that the Newport area is
the
> > fastest growning area for Welsh speaking in Wales, according to the
census.
> > Starting from a low base point mind.
>
> To abuse what must by now be an old joke (and if it isn't, why?):
> "The number of Welsh speakers in Newport has doubled since the last
> census.  Evidently Mr. & Mrs. Jones in Cleppa Park have had twins." 8)

Hi Chris,

If you go here:

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/downloads/census2001/KS_LA_Wales_in_English.pdf

You'll see that in 2001, the percentage of Welsh speakers in Newport was
7.18%, and that 13.37% had some knowledge of Welsh.  I liked the joke, but I
think it will have to be relocated - probably to England :)

And I don't think we need to confine ourselves to Cymrux if we go to the
Eisteddfod.  About 150,000 people will attend the event and they won't all
be Welsh speakers.  Of the Welsh speakers, not all of them will want Cymrux:
it's a free country and free software after all.

By the way I meant Knoppix, not Gentoo in my earlier post (the basis for
Cymrux).  What was I thinking?

Cheers

Peter