[SWLUG] Re: Newbie alert!

Glenn Booth d.glenn.booth at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 19:54:22 UTC 2005

Hi,

On 8/16/05, steve at nexusuk.org <steve at nexusuk.org> wrote:

> afterall, Intel just gave me a Linux job. :)

Are you at Swindon? I have a few friends working there, in the
desktop and server motherboard groups. If you come across
a lanky Llanelli boy called Ian Lloyd, say hi from me. I've spent
many frustrating hours in the labs there troubleshooting mobo
and video card problems. At least the coffee is good!

> (Sadly Intel's policy is to run Windows on all desktops,

Slightly aside...
I heard yesterday that Windows Server 2003 has a few little issues with
some of the new Intel server boards - to get power management to work,
you have to tell Windows that the system is a laptop (how ironic!).
Without power management, they chew about a hundred quids worth
of power per year, more once you've filled it with discs. RedHat and
Suse apparently don't suffer the same problems.

Regards,
Glenn.