[SWLUG] can anyone help? Installing avi-xmms

dan dot.dot.dotty.dot at ntlworld.com
Wed Feb 16 16:05:38 UTC 2005

Peter Prior wrote:

> dan at localhost ~]$ file /usr/bin/gcc
> /usr/bin/gcc: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Hitachi SH, version 1 (SYSV),
> for GNU/Linux 2.2.15, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped
> [dan at localhost ~]$
>
> That would be your problem.. somehow you've installed GCC for the
> Hitachi SH processor which according to Gareth Bowker is the processor
> used in the dreamcast.
> Firstly,  bravo :)
> Secondly, you may want to check you install i386 / i586 rpms as I
> presume you're running on an intel / amd platform.
>
> Once you have, rerunning file /usr/bin/gcc should give you something
> like:
>
> pprior at gentoo ~ $ file /usr/bin/gcc
> /usr/bin/gcc: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1
> (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.4.1, dynamically linked (uses shared libs),
> stripped
> pprior at gentoo ~ $
>
> Note the Intel 80386 bit :)
>
> Pete
>
> dan wrote:
>
>> Peter Prior wrote:
>>
>>> What does file /usr/bin/gcc give you?
>>> Try running gcc on its own and see what that gives you.  it should
>>> be something like "no input files".
>>>
>>> Pete

>> it gives me
>>
>> [dan at localhost ~]$ file /usr/bin/gcc
>> /usr/bin/gcc: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Hitachi SH, version 1
>> (SYSV), for GNU/Linux 2.2.15, dynamically linked (uses shared libs),
>> stripped
>> [dan at localhost ~]$

hey cool i am getting there slowly

got it installed it tells me i need glib??

[root at blackstar avi-xmms-1.2.3]# ./configure && make && make install
checking for working aclocal... found
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake... found
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... missing
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for c++... c++
checking whether the C++ compiler (c++  ) works... yes
checking whether the C++ compiler (c++  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C++... yes
checking whether c++ accepts -g... yes
checking for Cygwin environment... no
checking for mingw32 environment... no
checking for ld used by GCC... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking for BSD-compatible nm... /usr/bin/nm -B
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking how to recognise dependant libraries... pass_all
checking for object suffix... o
checking for executable suffix... no
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output... ok
checking for dlfcn.h... yes
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for strip... strip
checking for objdir... .libs
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -fPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -fPIC works... yes
checking if gcc static flag -static works... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.lo... yes
checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... yes
checking whether the linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking dynamic linker characteristics... GNU/Linux ld.so
checking whether to build static libraries... no
checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... no
creating libtool
checking for glib-config... no
checking for GLIB - version >= 1.2.2... no
*** The glib-config script installed by GLIB could not be found
*** If GLIB was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
*** your path, or set the GLIB_CONFIG environment variable to the
*** full path to glib-config.
configure: error: *** GLIB >= 1.2.2 not installed - please install first ***
[root at blackstar avi-xmms-1.2.3]#

what do you think????