[SWLUG] Mandriva Linux Control Centre

P.G. Richardson p.g.richardson at phantomjinx.co.uk
Fri Apr 13 07:38:21 UTC 2007

The control centre application runs rpmdrake which in turn run the command
line urpmi for installation of apps.

open terminal
su to root
then try running rpmdrake. If this fails it is possible that your rpm
database has become corrupted so may need to clean it.

Would also advise setting up a net connection rather than installing from
dvd as 2007 as now 6 months out of date. You can do this by going to here
-> http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ and following the instructions. These are
community update repositories as the mandriva ones require club
membership.

Regards

PGR

> Dear All
>
> The Control Centre section where I add/instal new applications from the
> DVD is playing up.  When I start Control Centre and before I have
> decided to install or uninstall anything, I get an error message
> "Impossible to run unknown "install" programme".  so I press OK and
> continue.  Even with this error I have in the past managed to install
> applications from the DVD.  But not any more.
>
> When I try to install another application, I insert the original DVD
> when prompted:
>    ` Please insert the medium named "Powerpack DVD on device /dev/hdc"
> '.  The drawer closes, a bit of reading takes places and the drawer
> opens again with the same instruction.
>
> The following info might be useful
> 1) The DVD contents can be read and seen in Konqueror and the DVD can be
> browsed.
> 2) If I browse the DVD first, in Konqueror, then start Control Centre
> and try to install applications the DVD is ejected and the above
> prompted returns.
>
> Is there any why to repair Control Centre or the Install programme ?
>
> Hope so and wait to hear
>
> Stephen

Laws are partly formed for the sake of good men, in order to instruct them
how they may live on friendly terms with one another, and partly for the
sake of those who refuse to be instructed, whose spirit cannot be subdued,
or softened, or hindered from plunging into evil. [The Laws, Plato]