[SWLUG] Web Browser - Firefox Extension Onscreen Keyboard

Chris King swlug at csking.co.uk
Mon Nov 1 13:06:15 UTC 2010

On Mon, November 1, 2010 12:30, Dave Cridland wrote:
> On Mon Nov  1 12:03:48 2010, Michael Johnson wrote:
>> Paid into what kind of organisation, exactly? The site's got some
>> dodgy English on it, so it probably wasn't a good idea.
>>
>> As far as I can tell, his argument is essentially that he finds the
>> letter 'K' offensive, as it somehow symbolises suicide, so the
>> alphabet must be changed to accommodate his religious views.
>
> Yes, it's good, isn't it?

Nothing like a bit of fruitcake to start your day :-)

> They've posted to IETF lists, including lobbying the IDNA group to
> proscribe 'K' from all domain names (yes, including the "uk" ccTLD).

Various standards bodies would love that, given that the ISO 3166 country
code is actually "GB". (JANET started all that "UK" malarkey, back in the
days when NRS [1] roamed the earth and machine names were the other way
round, e.g. UK.AC.CF.THOR)

> I suspect if there's any uptake, it'll be spammers using the new
> replacement symbol to bypass word filtering.

Malware and phishing scammers already make use of Punycode domains [2].

Chris

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JANET_NRS

[2] http://blog.trendmicro.com/can-idn-use-open-a-can-of-unicode-worms/

--