[Wiltshire] IPV6

Robert Longbottom RobertCL at iname.com
Tue Mar 8 12:14:14 UTC 2011

On Tue, March 8, 2011 9:50 am, David Fletcher wrote:
> My thoughts on all this are that it's likely to be more of a problem for
> the likes of us than Joe Public just running a windows PC or two. Many
> of us are involved with running servers, email, web sites, port
> forwarding on routers, etc.
>
> For starters, domestic routers will have to be replaced or the firmware
> upgraded/replaced with 3rd party offerings.

Hmm, I'd wondered about this.

Currently I quite like my Netgear router, but it seems to know nothing
about IPV6 - and it's a few years old now.  What are the chances that
Netgear will release an updated firmware?  I'd expect zero.  They will
just expect everyone to buy new kit.

I also have a number of Squeezebox devices - hopefully Logitec will
release an update for those because they still seems to be doing firmware
updates.

What about things like domestic switches?  I have a 5 port and an 8 port
Netgear gigabit switches?  Does these already understand IPV6? Can you
upgrade the firmware on them, or will I end up throwing them away.  Do
switches like that even care about IPV4 vs IPV6?

I don't really fancy spending a load of money on new networking hardware
when there is very little wrong with what I have now.  I guess we should
be thinking about any new kit we buy as well, but I

> Would it be possible for somebody who already knows about running IPv6
> to give the rest of us as gentle an introduction as possible, maybe make
> a pdf available with examples of what we need to do with network
> configuration files etc.?

That would be interesting...

Robert.