[Wiltshire] Request for help - Ubuntu 14.04

Simon Iremonger wiltslug at iremonger.me.uk
Wed Sep 3 15:42:51 UTC 2014

> A complete Linux novice, I recently installed ubuntu 14.04 LTS (from
> Live CD purchased from Canonical) - and downloaded 330.2 Mb of updates -
Oops =).

> The ubuntu program operates VERY slowly, often in jerks. Everything -
> typing, browsing, opening and closing programs - is ultra-slow.

> The PC details are: AMD64 Athlon processor, 3.2 GHz. 120Gb hard disc.
> 4Gb installed RAM. Graphics card VIA S3 UniChrome Pro KT8237.

Not 100% sure but I suspect the graphics might be the silly part...
Seemingly, this is a known annoyance...
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-s3/+question/212495

If this is a desktop I'd highly reccomend a 'different' AGP/PCI
graphics card may be very sensible and cheap/free to find.

Apparently, is worthwhile, to go through that xorg.conf changing in
order to setup the openchrome driver which is apparently just
a pain on those machines?  But NOTE things may be different in
14.04 from  12.10 on the above page... but Now that you have a
hint you may be able to find a working solution...

If you want a less graphics-heavy / more XP-like Desktop,
you can try   Mint 17 MATE 64bit  version which uses MATE
desktop but is otherwise  Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 'under the hood'.

> ubuntu. This was unintended - the hoped-for result was to have
> XP and ubuntu 'side by side'.
Oops =).

What I *can* reccomend (once you have a working Mint or Ubuntu)
is:-
* sudo apt-get install virtualbox-nonfree
* sudo adduser USERNAME vboxusers
[you may need to reboot or at least fully logout/login here...]
* Get, from  http://www.virtualbox.org/  VirtualBox 4.3.14
   'VirtualBox Extension Pack', and open this with VirtualBox
   application so that it then installs as an extension pack
   (there are various ways to add through settiongs, or 'open
   with' virtualbox, or via 'vboxmanage' command ...).

This, then lets you install Windows XP in a virtualbox VM
(it should have 384 to 640 mb of ram or so, on your system)
which is a very effective way to run Windows instide Linux,
while still being able to 'shared folders' share files from
the Linux disk, and still being able to connect Windows XP
through to external USB devices [Devices -> USB -> ...].

Hope that helps,

--Simon