[Wolves] (no subject)

Adam Sweet wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk
Wed Sep 25 13:14:02 2002

Regrettably, all of that X stuff is beyond me so I
will not even try to point you in the wrong direction
as that is where you would end up if I tried to help
you, I will leave that to People Who Know.

> I have a lacie 80gb Firewire drive.  Again the VIA
> pages have not helped.  I
> tried mount -t ntfs /dev/sdb1 /media/lacie and got
> no errors back.  However
> this is flagged as a directory that is read only?
> It is owned and created
> by root.  As root I have tried chmod 777
> /media/lacie but it still remains
> read only.  So I am not sure if it mounted the drive
> or not.

It appears you are trying to access a disk formatted
using NTFS. Read access is stable in the Linux kernel
for NTFS and is often compiled into kernels for most
distros, however, write access to NTFS is famously
*not advised* as you are not likely to have much data
left afterwards.

As such, NTFS write access is a separate kernel module
to NTFS read access and is *never* to be compiled into
a kernel apart from testing or developing the kernel
driver. Consequently, your drive has been picked up by
the NTFS write module allowing you write access, but,
rather sensibly, SuSE have elected to leave out the
write module (assuming you're using their kernel).

You could compile a new kernel adding in write support
but it cannot be stressed enough how fundamentally bad
this will be for you data. It is widely accepted that
the NTFS write module will eat your drive. To access
any Windows partitions from Linux, format them using
FAT32 as this is perfectly stable for both read and
write.

Hope I have not missed the point here as this will be
just a nonsense rant.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I hope you
get your other problem sorted.
Adam

=====
http://www.any1fancyadrinky.co.uk