[Wolves] XDMCP bandwidth

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Thu Dec 4 14:26:57 GMT 2003

X works well on 100mb lans, and slowly on 10mb from my experience... this
is for a full screen desktop (windowmaker+mozilla+gaim)

If you have applications with animated graphics on them, then performance
will suffer more...  so perhaps it's more of a question of what the end
user would be using.

You could tunnel X through ssh, and use compression gaining far better
performance (and security), and remove the need for xdmcp etc.

Putty will allow you to forward X over ssh, you just need an X server on
the wind0ws box, and to have configured /etc/ssh/sshd_config to allow X
forwarding...

thanks,

David.

http://codepoets.co.uk/david