[Wolves] XDMCP bandwidth

Old Dan dan at dannyboy.dnsalias.org
Thu Dec 4 15:21:30 GMT 2003

David Goodwin wrote:
> X works well on 100mb lans, and slowly on 10mb from my experience... this
> is for a full screen desktop (windowmaker+mozilla+gaim)
For how many users?

> If you have applications with animated graphics on them, then performance
> will suffer more...  so perhaps it's more of a question of what the end
> user would be using.
Office-type apps mostly.

> You could tunnel X through ssh, and use compression gaining far better
> performance (and security), and remove the need for xdmcp etc.
Yeah but you don't get the nice login screen with that do you?

I have to keep it so simple your average goldfish could do it, and it
has to have as much eyecandy as possible so the freaks here will go
'wow, that must be well powerful because it looks soo pretty...'.

::sigh::

> Putty will allow you to forward X over ssh, you just need an X server on
> the wind0ws box, and to have configured /etc/ssh/sshd_config to allow X
> forwarding...
Yeah I've tried that - I seriously did /not/ like the performance, even
over a 100Mb/s network.  Maybe I was doing something wrong but XDMCP
far, far outperforms ssh in that department IME.

However, I will take another look at it.

--
Dan