[Wolves] defrag

Mo Awkati mawkati at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Dec 20 12:51:32 GMT 2003

By the sound of it I will not be needing half the number of tools that I am used to using under Windows.

Thanks

Mo

Peter Oliver <p.d.oliver at mavit.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, sparkes wrote:

> > > there's normally no need.
> >
> > Why is that? What if there is a bad sector on the hard drive that
> > needs to be "ignored"?

Is this really the thing to do to a dodgy disk under Windows?

> fsck (the butt of many jokes) will sort out any problems you have. This
> will run on boot whenever the system believes it needs to.

AFAIK, fsck only handles filesystem corruption. Bad-blocks are handled by
the drives themselves (all disks have a certain number of bad blocks
from the word go) and by the kernel as it goes along.

Anyway, IIRC, once upon a time someone did write a defrag tool for ext2,
the default Linux filesystem, but it was so seldom used that nobody
bothered to maintain it.

VxFS, a filesystem written by Veritas, does have a defrag tool that they
suggest you run at least once a month, but it doesn't seem to have much in
common with the Windows FAT defrag, only taking a few minutes to run.

--
Peter Oliver