[Wolves] WebDAV

Old Dan dan at dannyboy.dnsalias.org
Fri Feb 27 16:36:37 GMT 2004

Old Dan wrote:
> Aquarius wrote:
>
>> I've got a mixed Windows/Linux network at Castle Aq. Now, sharing files
>> between the machines is a neat thing, I think. Since NFS bites the fat
>> one, I thought that the best way to do this was with Samba. But I
>> am rapidly concluding that this is Not The Case, because I cannot
>> get Samba to work properly. So, I got to thinking. Would it be easier
>> to do this with WebDAV? MS Explorer does the "web folders" thing, and
>> there are a fair few Linux apps that will read and write WebDAV folders.
>> Has anyone tried this? Is it any good? Please don't suggest that I
>> just get Samba working, because I just don't *get* it for some reason.
>

> Aq,
>
> I did try WebDAV once but it was Hard(tm).  I presume it would work for
> sharing files on the local network but TBH it'd be like using an ICBM to
> crack a nut - I mean I don't suppose you need the versioning and such it
> does do you?

Besides,  (this from the FAQ):

  As applications transition to adding DAV support, existing
applications can be used on the local filesystem, and a program like
sitecopy  can upload changed files to a DAV server for you. Microsoft is
also providing a feature called "Web folders" which makes a collection
on a DAV server appear to be a directory in Windows. Non-DAV
applications cannot work with these folders because the files/folders
are only an appearance -- they are not mapped into a local filesystem. A
Windows "redirector" could be written to make them appear as a local
filesystem, but until that time, applications will need to be changed to
work with a DAV-enabled server.

It's be far from seamless.

--
Dan