[Wolves] Promoting Linux

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 2 01:07:06 BST 2004

Martyn Carey wrote:

> Going to start a flame war here but win engineers know how to click a
> few boxes to get stuff to work

Point of order Martyn - inappropriate use of the word "engineer". I
prefer Win doctor. It costs a fortune to train them and you're never
sure if they know quite what they did to make it better. Sometimes the
patient dies when there didn't seem much wrong with them.

> wheras linux command line engineers need to know how things work.

Much better :-)
...  so when they've fixed it,  it stays working.

I've always liked the analogy

Windows  =  Music centre
Linux/Unix  =  Hi-fi seperates

Natural engineers don't choose music centres because they care about
performance and quality and not so much about the tangle of wires at the
back or the fact that nothing matches.

Woo