FC3, was Re: [Wolves] Ubuntu's boot-up 'me time'

Adam Sweet drinky76 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 15 14:29:57 GMT 2005

 --- Peter Cannon <peter at cannon-linux.freeserve.co.uk>
wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 February 2005 13:29, Adam Sweet wrote:

> > There are 4
> > CD isos, is it like Debian where you can just get
> the
> > first one to install the base system and then use
> > yum/synaptic/whatever the other one was to install
> > anything else you want or does it help to have all
> > 4 isos?
>
> Nope! you'll need all 4 (possibly) it depends on
> what setup you want, you can
> do a minimal install but theres not much point if
> you have the discs.

So, how do you install new software? Download it from
the mirror and install with rpm? I thought the
advantage as FC was that it was almost equally as huge
Debian in terms of packages and community and so
(unlike SuSE, Mandrake etc) you could find your
package easily and install it. How do you install
stuff if you don't have the disk and what would I lose
by not having the disks?

> My advice is to get apt on as quick as you can then
> get the updates.

Yep.

> I'm comming to the meet tomorrow (if its on the go's
> list is looking a bit
> thin) I can burn you the disks and bring them if you
> like?

Sadly I can't make it this Wednesday (future
Wednesdays are debatable for the next month or so) as
my band can only get a rehearsal room on Wednesday
nights at the mo. I can just download them to be
honest, it just means I'll be less inclined to get
round to it...

Ad

=====
--