[Wolves] iriver's

Simon Burke simon.burke at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 10:09:19 GMT 2005

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 16:43:38 +0000, Andy Wootton
<andy.wootton at wyrley.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Simon Burke wrote:

<snip>

> >However i kind of forgot to mention that its only a iFP 899, so im not
> >sure this is applicable (looks like it is for the iHP range). I should
> >of quoted the model, sorry.
> >
> >Though i think i found something from sourceforge appropietly called ifp driver:
> >
> >http://ifp-driver.sourceforge.net/
> >
> >No more boring 3hrs journey home from work. yay
> >
> I was coincidentally on the way here to post the link below:
> http://www.playerblog.com/archives/000493.shtml
>
> It doesn't specifically answer your question but mentions iRiver's
> adoption of a Microsoft protocol in their newer models. You can look out
> for it in your instruction book when it arrives. I think that would make
> it unfit for purpose and entitle you to a refund (but then I can be an
> awkward bugger sometimes.)

No, i would tend to agree, If this is the case with any peripherals i
buy these days I'd ask for a refund.

I just cant really believe that they are closing down their appeal to
serveral audiences down to one. If this is the case, i will get a
refund and end up with a bloody ipod (mini though).

I think Microsoft are spreading into everything these days, Its either
greed or they are trying to find something else to their somewhat
exploit prone softwares, that people will buy.

> I too am on the hunt for digital aural goodness or the Ogg variety for
> my son's 18th birthday but there doesn't seem a lot about. Just as
> iRiver start to make players that don't owe their design inspiration to
> Dr. Frankenstein they take the software over to the dark side.

True, the design was partly wht i got it, as well as the ogg support.
Though all my music is mp3 at the momment. It was just nice to see a
mp3 player that supported some form of open format. Though i swear i
saw a mp3 player thats supports FLAC. I cant remember where though.

> Please tell me that proprietary standards don't always win in an open
> (largely monopolised) market. Does the Linux community concentrate too
> much on promoting Freedom rather than Openess?

I think in most cases people are still saying, if its free it cant be
any good (ie you get what you pay for), which is why so many people
have chose to go the dead-rat/suse path especially is businesses. I am
yet to see any real non-technical businesses that run a free distro
like debian.

Thats just mo opinion. Though i am trying to get my company to look at
centOS. They have aparently already been to open advantage, and they
got the idea that red hat is the best path to go down. Though, I
myself am not a huge fan of red-hat and prefer the suse one (esp no
its EAL4 certified, apparently)

--
Theres no place like ::1

Thanks,