[Wolves] Scumbags Hack Xoops site

Steve Parkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Fri Oct 21 10:28:25 BST 2005

Peter Cannon wrote:
> On Friday 21 October 2005 09:45, Steve Parkes wrote:
>
>> This is where you are wrong on the issue, good security needs to be
>> designed in and not added afterwards
>
> Hang on winkle nobody's wrong here its about choice and why you should and
> shouldn't make a choice.

Nope the statment you made was wrong ;-)  I don't begrudge you your own
ideas on this but you did make an incorrect statment ;-)

> Lets be up front here I agree security or at least some implementation of
> security should come first but every thing adds security on a regular basis
> thats why we have Anti-Virus because idiots write new viruses so people like
> Clam, Amavis etc right fixes (or alerts) after the events and not before.

we have virus' (not virii because somebody (normally ginger ;-) ) points
out that's incorrect) because of poor implimentations.

> Its not a good enough argument to say "Ah thats crap because you don't get a
> patch until its been hacked" that can happen to anything.

I didn't say that.  I said hacks are inevitable on such badly designed
systems.  If I had some time in teh next week (which I don't because
it's half term and I have just launched a business (check out nerd.ws
plug plug ;-) ) I would find a whole in the foss cms of your choice to
prove my point.

>> it's not about being amateur it's about being professional, an amateur
>> should have a professional outlook if they are offering a product like this
>
> You are an old grumpy git arnt you? We all have to start somewhere and
> Professionalism is learned  over a period of time. how many times have you
> seen people spouting off, producing junk initially, but over time their
> output has got better and better, I don't know when these CMS packages hit
> the streets but I presume they have been around for a while I have only just
> come across them in the last three months and they impress me.

then they should develop systems that carry no security risk.  We all
make mistakes and I released code this week that had a potential SQL
injection problem.  The system would allow exposure of low level data.
I fixed and went public on the fix and this is on a closed source
(because it's so bespoke it's useless to everyone else) application.
Total Disclosure ;-)

> Maybe I have a low expectation,

possible ;-)

> maybe I'm talking out my arse

probable :-P

> but the valid
> point is I'm impressed which means I'll tell others about them and suggest
> using them thats how things take off a bit like your T-Shirt venture for all
> I know they may be made in a sweat shop in Lewisham with badly woven cotten
> but I still think they look cool probably fit me OK and will make others want
> one.
>
> You amateur T-Shirt seller ;)
> (You have to do six months to be professional)

you just have to have a professional outlook and develop professional
level skills.  You can't go writing applications that require a certain
level of security savvy from the off.  I have helped any number of
begineers take their first steps in programming and people fix security
problems in their apps.

In fact I can think of at least 3 people on this list who I have helped
patch insecure web code on their own sites after noticing the problem
some more than once.

sparkes