[Wolves] Encyclopaedia on linux

Stuart Langridge sil at kryogenix.org
Tue Apr 18 09:43:54 BST 2006

> If you are prepared to use wikipaedia, then be aware that the
> information is downloadable, so it will work offline. I have zbedic on
> my PDA with all of the wikipaedia in it; I don't know, though, whether
> there's an offline browser for it for PCs.

A chap at http://www.jraleigh.com/index.php/2006/03/08/offline-wikipedia/
installed his own local copy of mediawiki (the software that runs
wikipedia) and imported all the wikipedia data into it. The wikipedia
people also make static HTML dumps available:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Database_download has lots of
information about different ways to download. Most of these dumps are,
however, bigger than a CD, so someone creating a CD wikipedia would
need to think a bit about how to compress the data.

--
sil

<Cl0ckwork> i hate it when explorer crashes, losing my system tray,
and irc is minized to it
<slick> I hate when I kick a dog and then the owner see's me and I
have to kill him