[Wolves] Is Internet Explorer 8 really so troublesome?

Chris Ellis chris.ellis.intrbiz at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 20 23:57:19 UTC 2009

Hi

I've found IE8 actually very easy to develop for, however the big problem is
it is very hard to create a design / code which works in IE8 / IE7 and IE6.
IE8 is a vast improvement, but IE7 and IE6 are still very common and make it
difficult to build truly cross browser systems.

It is possible using some tricks however it seems a lot of sites can't be
bothered to create code which does work at the moment.  I expect once IE8
is released and used sites will allow for it.

One of the big problems with IE7 was the take up rate was incredibly slow,
it was only about 6 months ago IE7 traffic matched IE6 traffic on my sites.
Given M$ approach to IE8 alot of developers are skeptical of their ability
to distribute the product and provide a platform which deterministically
selects render mode!

CE